BlueSky Dental Logo
October 20th, 2014
I recently did a logo for a startup dental practice in Florida. My timeline for completing the logo was very limited and I took the opportunity as a creative exercise. The requirements for the logo were very straight forward:
- The logo should be clean and “modern”.
- The logo should communicate dentistry.
Sticking to my usual process I made a list of nouns that represent dentistry, and a list of nouns that represent skies. This list ended up much shorter than typical.Sky
- Clouds (or no clouds?)
- ... not much more to this
- Teeth (tooth)
- ... that’s it
Did some rapid sketching:
In the end I landed on the idea of using a tooth as part of a cloud due to the similarity of the shapes. The last illustration I drew was close to what I wanted so I moved into Illustrator and finished the design.
Whenever I design a logo, I try and meet what I believe are three critical requirements:
- Reversible: Reversible logos are easy to print on any medium.
- Works in greyscale: It is really disappointing to have a great logo and then run into a situation where you need to print in B&W or greyscale and it doesn’t work well or look good.
- Simple colors: I believe that when you can get away with less colors, you should. Simplicity looks clean and professional.